KID Museum announces the return of the most popular Maker Faire in the DC area on Sunday, September 20th, 12:00-5:00pm at the Silver Spring Civic Building. Maker Faire Silver Spring, a free family festival celebrating innovation and creativity, is jam packed with free activities to interest adults like driving robots, creating quad-copters, and hands-on furniture making; as well as free activities for kids including making Pi-bot robots, LED craft projects, and painting oneself invisible in a freeze ray dome.
Maker Faire Silver Spring was the first Maker Faire in the DC area, and it continues to grow each year. With over 14,000 people attending, Maker Faire Silver Spring has become the DC community’s home-town Maker Faire and includes a wide range of creative hands-on electronics, art, engineering, science, and crafts activities for children and adults.
Along with two stages of live musical performances and entertainment, the Faire also features dynamic talks by local inventors who will present their unique and cutting edge projects, as well as exhibits and activities that include:
- Steampunk looking musical instruments and homemade musical synthesizers
- Rideable giant sculpture that looks like a tricycle by artist Howard Connelly
- Floating canoes made out of duck tape, cardboard and items found around the house
- Chaotic motion kinetic sculptures, fabric arts projects, and other hands-on art
- Arduino quiz games, life size board games made out of circuit boards, and other learn to code computer fun
- Quad-copters, rockets, rideable hover crafts, and other flying machines
- And Robots everywhere you turn as well as so much more!
Maker Faire Silver Spring is free and open to the public. The event is accessible by the Silver Spring Metro station. Free parking is available in the nearby Town Center and Wayne Avenue garages. For more information, visit www.makerfairesilverspring.com.