Explore UMD’s world of Fearless Ideas with more than 400 free, educational, family-friendly and interactive events
The University of Maryland will host its 19th annual Maryland Day on Saturday, April 29 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event, a campus-wide celebration of innovation, creativity and academic excellence, offers more than 400 free, educational, family-friendly activities that teach and inspire future innovators.
Highlights for this year’s Maryland Day include:
- No Excuses Workout and World Record Attempt – University of Maryland alumnus and celebrity trainer Steve Jordan will lead a group fitness exercise and an attempt to break the world record for most people to hold an abdominal plank for 60 seconds.
- Do Good – Learn, serve and grow with UMD students who are taking on real-world issues. #DoGoodUMD while participating in community service efforts and a scavenger hunt for prizes. UMD chefs will also prepare Do Good recipes that are cost-effective, taste great and offer plenty of variety.
- The Portal – Connect with someone across the world! Portals is a global network of gold-painted shipping containers that are equipped with immersive audio and video technology that allows guests to experience face-to-face communication though thousands of miles apart.
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball, and Football Autograph Sessions – Join members of the teams for a photo and autograph session. Members of the football team will also facilitate a training activity.
- An Afternoon with Sonia De Los Santos – Latin children’s music artist, De Los Santos, performs family-friendly music that reflects on her experiences growing up in Mexico, moving to another country and learning about other countries.
- Glenn L. Martin Wind Tunnel – Experience rare access to the university’s wind tunnel, which has been used in aerodynamics research since 1949.
- One Stop Health Fair – The university, along with its community partners, will offer free health screenings and health information.
- Kid Play Theatre Workshop – A half-hour acting workshop for budding actors includes fun theater games.
- Maryland Equestrian Club Horse Show – The club hosts a live horse show, exciting demonstrations and interactive opportunities for the whole family.
In addition, visitors can learn about UMD’s schools and colleges, participate in a campus tour, catch up with fellow Terps, attend a UMD vs. Penn State softball game, and enjoy live performances and food.
To view the full Maryland Day schedule, visit www.MarylandDay.umd.edu.