Pepco encourages customers to take action now to save energy this summer
Pepco is making spring cleaning a little easier for customers this spring with their Appliance Recycling Program – one of Pepco’s Maryland Energy Efficiency Programs – by offering a hassle-free way to recycle their old, energy-wasting appliances.
Old refrigerators and freezers can consume as much as four times more energy than newer models and could cost customers up to $150 annually in energy usage. An older refrigerator in your basement or garage could be costing you nearly $300 per year. Through our Appliance Recycling Program, customers can schedule a no-cost pickup of their old, refrigerator or freezer and receive a $50 check for allowing Pepco to recycle it in an environmentally responsible way. Customers who recycle a window A/C at the same time as a refrigerator or freezer qualify for an additional $25.
Some additional energy saving tips for customers include:
- Insulating your home can significantly reduce your heating and cooling costs, while increasing the comfort of your home in both hot and cold weather.
- Proper selection and placement of trees, shrubs and vines adds attractiveness and also helps lower the heating and cooling needs of your home.
- If health permits, customers can save money by setting their thermostats at 78 degrees, a reasonably comfortable and energy-efficient indoor temperature. Close window shades, blinds or drapes to keep out the sun and retain cooler air inside.
- Regularly changing filters to maintain your cooling system can save money and increase the comfort level in your home.
- Ensure that no furniture or other obstacles are blocking ducts or fans. This will enable cooled air to circulate freely, making your home more comfortable.
- Keep lamps, televisions or other heat sources away from the air conditioner thermostat. Heat from these sources may cause the air conditioner unit to run longer than it should.
- If you have a crawl space, inspect it regularly to ensure that the insulation inside is dry. When insulation gets wet, it isn’t as effective. Be sure to find the source of the moisture and replace any damaged insulation.
- The water heater is typically the third highest energy expense in the home. Lowering the temperature on the water heater can also help save energy.
- Customers can earn rebates by having select ENERGY STAR refrigerators, washers, dryers, pool pumps, and hybrid water heaters.
Find additional information about Pepco by visiting www.pepco.com. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pepcoconnect and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pepcoconnect. Our mobile app is available at www.pepco.com/mobileapp.