New wax figures include Thor, Laverne Cox, Ed Sheeran, Lorde and more
Madame Tussauds Washington, D.C. is celebrating 10 Years on F Street this summer with exciting new wax figures never seen before in D.C., and in town for a limited time only. In addition to the current Music Touring Set: Ed Sheeran, Lorde, Sam Smith and Ross Lynch– in D.C. until the end of June, the attraction will be home to Marvel favorite Thor (Chris Hemsworth) from June until August and celebrate Capital Pride by welcoming the figure of Orange Is the New Black star, Laverne Cox.
Styled in the dress she wore on her iconic TIME Magazine cover, and the first transgender figure ever created in the more than 250-year history of Madame Tussauds, Ms. Cox ‘s figure will be in the attraction from June 8-11.
Over the past decade, Madame Tussauds has become a must-see attraction in the nation’s capital, offering memorable entertainment in the heart of downtown DC. Opening in 2007 with 50 wax figures, it now boasts over 100 figures spanning cultural icons, music stars, media moguls and A-listers. Fan favorites include Taylor Swift, Zac Efron, Justin Bieber, Jimmy Fallon, Oprah and Martin Luther King Jnr. It is also the only place where all 45 U.S. Presidents are under one roof in a newly renovated Oval Office and White House Rose Garden. Some of the most memorable moments and additions to the attraction over the past decade include:
- In the fall of 2010, Madame Tussauds took a ‘Presidential Road trip’ to Mount Rushmore. Figures of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln went on a road trip from the nation’s capital to Mt. Rushmore, recognizing the anniversary of the monument’s completion—October 31, 1941.
- 2011 saw the launch of The President’s Gallery. While open, the attraction has welcomed the figures of recent U.S. Presidents like President Barack Obama and current President Donald J. Trump ahead of their inaugurations.
- In 2012, Madame Tussauds launched a brand new Harriet Tubman figure, keeping her legacy alive, with thirteen of Tubman’s direct descendants present for the event.
- The current King of late night television, Stephen Colbert, lent a hand in revealing his very own wax figure back in November of 2012 tied to his success on The Colbert Report.
- In the summer of 2016, the attraction launched its July 4th Experience an interactive environment featuring a colorful and patriotic fireworks simulation and Uncle Sam wax figure.
- Other notable celebrity visitors throughout the years include Former First Lady Michelle Obama, General Colin Powell, Capitol’s player Alex Ovechkin, Internet sensation Grumpy Cat, the Jonas Brothers and basketball star Gilbert Arenas.
“Our 10 year anniversary is the perfect time for new and returning visitors to come experience Madame Tussauds D.C. and see what’s new. This summer, we are excited to offer an exciting mix of new figures,” said Therese Alvich, General Manager of Madame Tussauds Washington D.C. “What better time than when school is out, to come celebrate a decade with us!”
Madame Tussauds Washington, D.C. is a must-see this summer! Don’t miss the collection of travelling figures, in D.C. for a limited time only.