Helpful information to help Pepco customers save money and energy and stay safe
The holidays are a time for cheer, fun gatherings and decking the halls. Pepco offers customers tips to help them save energy and money and stay safe during the holidays.
Save Money and Energy … Don’t Let the Grinch Steal Your Energy or Your Cash
The grumpy, anti-holiday spirit Grinch may have been successful at stealing stuff from the residents of Whooville, but he could not steal their joy. Energy efficiency lighting is one way to fend off Grinchy costs. Here are a few tips to keep your holidays shiny and bright!
- Light up your home or business for the holidays by using energy-efficient ENERGY STAR certified decorative lights. They use up to 75 percent less energy than conventional incandescent lights and are also cool to the touch.
- Power down all decorative lights when going to bed or leaving the house.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for the number of decorative light strands than can be safely connected.
Stay Safe … How to Avoid Clark Griswold-like Decorating Calamities This Holiday.
While Clark Griswold wanted to light up the holidays for his family, his decorating tactics led to calamity! Make your holidays joyful by playing it safe; Follow these simple tips to light up your home safely.
- Be aware of all power lines when decorating outdoors. Never work near overhead power lines or anywhere there is a possibility of contacting an overhead power line – either directly or indirectly – with a ladder or other piece of equipment.
- Do not string lights on outdoor trees that are growing near or into power lines.
- Ensure decorative lights used outside are approved for outdoor use.
- Hang outdoor lights with insulated staples or hooks instead of nails or tacks.
At Pepco, we work hard to help our customers save energy and money. To learn more about saving energy in your home, generating your own power, or other programs to help you save energy, visit pepco.com/savings for a list of programs and incentives.
Pepco wishes its customers and their families a happy, safe and energy-efficient holiday season!
Readers are encouraged to visit The Source, Pepco’s online news room. Find additional information about Pepco by visiting pepco.com. Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/pepcoconnect and on Twitter at twitter.com/pepcoconnect. Our mobile app is available at pepco.com/mobileapp.