Spring brings new and exciting things from the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) with the launch of its new fitness website MyFITDC.com, as District enters the final stretch to recapture the title as the “Fittest City in America.”
The web site features an image-driven, easy to navigate listing of DPR’s free fitness events at different locations with varying themes and partners; led by an array of sought-after instructors. Website categories include: Runs/Walks, Indoor, Outdoor, Aquatics and Sports.
Washington, D.C. previously held the #1 ranking as fittest city given annual by the American Fitness Index Data Report published by the American College of Sports and Medicine. In 2017, Minneapolis took the title but with the #TakeBack1 Campaign, DPR and its various partners have been pushing strong to regain the title while getting Washingtonians in the best health possible.
“Mayor Bowser started the FITDC initiative in 2015, which has grown into a movement of thousands” said DPR Director Keith A. Anderson. “When you get close to 1,000 people to run in freezing temperatures on New Year’s Day, the change in season is a great time to give the people more of what they want and we’re excited to share that residents will find more fitness activities this spring at MyFITDC.com.”
The website is active and full of chances for residents to fellowship, have fun and get fit.
Some featured spring #FITDC events include:
- #BiketheDistrict: Petals & Pedals Sponsored by LimeBike – March 31, 11 a.m. – Kenilworth Recreation Center
- Sweat Saturday: Fitness Powered by Sweat DC – March 31, 2 p.m. – Columbia Heights Community Center
- Fitness in the Park: Outdoor Workout with Npowered Fitness – April 2, 6:30 p.m. – Stead Park
- Marvin Gaye 5K: Fun Run/ Walk – April 7, 2:30 p.m. – New Marvin Gaye Recreation Center
- Funky #FITDC Friday: Salsa Night – April 13, 6 p.m. – Raymond Recreation Center
- DC Plogging: Run & Litter Clean Up – April 22, 10 a.m. – Raymond Recreation Center
- Cycling Classes: Hosted by CYCLED! – Harrison Recreation Center
- FITDC Camps: Hosted by Gym Jonez – Various Locations Throughout April
Other events starting in April include pop up outdoor cycling and fitness boot camp, spin classes, yoga, Zumba and weight training.
All fitness events are free. For more information and to SIGN for events visit MyFITDC.com.